In humans, melatonin plays a significant role in a circadian rhythm, i.e. the daily cycle of biological activity based on a 24-hour interval. Secreted by the pineal gland, this chemical messenger is known as “Dracula Hormone” as the secretion peaks during the night hours in dark.
Here’s a snippet of the mechanism regarding how does melatonin work on our body.
Detection of dark influences the entire production and release of this wonder hormone by the retina. To break down the process, read the following steps:
- Retina detects light and sends signals to the hypothalamus.
- Melatonin secretion is inhibited.
- During the night, retina detects dark and again sends signals to SCN ( suprachiasmatic nucleus)
- SCN, in turn, communicates with the pineal gland which causes the release of melatonin.
However, though the hormone is purposeful during the night, it has a plethora of significant functions in regulating human life.
- The principal function of melatonin is controlling of circadian rhythm responsible for the sleep-wake cycle.
- It is an excellent antioxidant which ensures proper cell division and DNA synthesis.
- Thirdly, melatonin acts as anti-carcinoma helping to prevent and fight breast cancer. It also serves as an aromatase inhibitor protecting against estrogen-related cancer.
- The wonder hormone facilitates both innate and cellular immunity.
Nevertheless, in recent studies, it has been seen, melatonin has an imperative role in aging. Well, this is indeed a robust discovery in the field of physiology.
Read further to learn all the functions of melatonin as an anti-aging hormone:
Babies tend to possess a maximum level of melatonin, but the amount slopes down as they cross teens. However, the quantity of melatonin decreases in significant level, when a person goes to the forty-squad.
This is when doctors’ device magic tablets composed with “Miracle Melatonin” which helps to restore the age.
The correct melatonin dosage needs to be between 1 mg to 6 mg. The clinical use covers age-related insomnia treatment, inflammation, immunity, and maintenance of weight to name a few.
Note: One must consider a vital point while taking the supplement; the patient should consume a tab 30 minutes prior sleep.
The hormone simply modifies the corticoid related phenomenon implying anti-aging action. Furthermore, it also provides anti-depressant effects keeping people calm and gets along the fast track of life.
Moreover, buy melatonin supplement has specific pigmentation benefits too. Applying the hormone in the form of serum or lotion is effective as it reinforces skin’s ability for repair and revitalization.
To fetch the best result, one must consider taking these melatonin supplements on a long-term basis. Owing to the huge role in restoring skin’s glow and cell renewal, it is known as a juvenile hormone.
Another aspect of this hormone, it helps to fight against cardiovascular disease decreasing total cholesterol and LDL level and increasing HDL cholesterol level.
However, one must avoid intake of large doses of melatonin supplements as these may arouse excessive drowsiness and reduce core body temperature. It may also display some adverse effects on the human reproductive system.
So, considering all the facts, it can be said that this juvenile hormone is a lot more than a way to fall asleep.